2013 IARS Mentored Research Awards Guidelines
- Principal applicant must be an IARS member.
- Principal applicant must be an investigator who has yet to establish substantial independent research funding or who is initiating a new area of research.
- Duration since completion of clinical training or PhD must be under 10 years.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 45% protected non-clinical time.
- Prior recipients of the IARS Clinical Scholar Research Award are not eligible to apply.
- Prior or current recipients of NIH R01 grants, or the equivalent, are not eligible to apply.
- The proposed project may be in any area of investigation (clinical, translational, basic science), but must have ultimate relevance to the broad practice of anesthesiology and its subspecialties.
- Applicants should present a clear research plan and the proposed project must be pertinent to anesthesiology.
- Applicants must identify a senior mentor whose participation is vital to the success of the study.
- Applicants must have an appointment in a successful Principal Investigator’s group.
The involvement of human subjects and/or vertebrate animals, as well as IRB and/or IACUC approval status, must be indicated in the application. Submitting the IMRA application with pending approvals is acceptable, however, approval must be obtained prior to award funds being allocated (July 2013) and documentation of approval and patient informed consent forms
(if applicable) must be submitted upon request.
- Applicants may apply by submitting an online application. Access the online application and full application instructions. Deadline to apply is February 8, 2013.
- All information requested in the application and attachments must be supplied. Failure to do so will disqualify the application. Required application components include:
Please review the complete 2013 IARS Mentored Research Awards Guidelines and Application Instructions.
- Applicant/Investigator, Mentor, and Co-Investigator
(if applicable) NIH Biosketches
- Two letters of recommendation: one from the applicant’s mentor and one from the Department Chair
- Disclosure of all extramural funding of the applicant, mentor, and co-investigators
- Disclosure of project titles and any overlap to the proposed project, including percent effort of the applicant on all funded projects
- Detailed budget (institutional indirect expenses will not be funded)
Application Review and Recipient Selection
- All applications will be reviewed by an External Advisory Board, appointed by the IARS Board of Trustees and Research Committee. Awards are granted at the sole discretion of the IARS.
- Applications will be reviewed on the basis of scientific merit, adequate preliminary data, career potential of the investigator, and importance of the investigation to the specialty of anesthesiology.
- Priority funding will be awarded to proposals that are independent of other extramural support.
- Up to four projects will be selected to receive a maximum of $150,000 each, payable over two years.
- Winners will be announced in April or May 2013.
- The maximum award amount for any selected project is $150,000, payable over two years.
- Institutional indirect expenses will not be funded.
- Award funds will be allocated in two equal installments of $75,000 paid in July 2013 and July 2014. Consideration will be given to requests for unequal payment installments.
- The second and final installment is contingent upon receipt of a satisfactory progress report submitted to IARS by June 1, 2014.
- A final progress report must be submitted to IARS on or before December 1, 2015.
- Any and all publications resulting from research that has utilized IARS funds must indicate the following: "Supported (or 'Supported in part') by a grant from the International Anesthesia Research Society."